Are you planning to fly American Airlines soon? Then, you must know the seating policy of the airline. It’s quite different from that of other airlines as passengers are required to select the seats during booking. You must complete the seat selection process to get your preferred seat. Therefore, stay ahead and become a smart passenger by using American Airlines seat selection policy. Also, your seat selection involves a cost to confirm your seat.
This blog will guide you to make a better decision on time and get the seats you want well in advance.
How does American Airlines Seat Selection work?
American Airlines Seat Selection Process allows all passengers to select a seat and pay for it at the time of booking. The more in advance you assign yourself a seat, the better option you get. Many other things may impact your seat selection on American Airlines, as below:
- With American Airlines, you can select your seat during booking or before your flight.
- Seats are assigned based on availability.
- The earlier you select your seat, the better chance you have of getting your preferred seat.
- You can pay extra for a seat with extra legroom or in a specific location.
- Frequent flyers or premium cabin travelers may have additional seat selection options.
- Along with seat selection, you will get various facilities depending on the type of seating you book on your flight.
- When you skip the seat selection process, American Airlines selects seats for you according to availability.
How Can I Check Seat Availability?
If you want to choose your seat when flying with American Airlines and travel in comfort, here are the easy steps to follow:
- Go to the American Airlines website using a suitable web browser. You can also install the AA mobile app.
- Choose the type of seat you want and your flight route (destinations) to help the system track current seats on the flight.
- Look at the plane’s seat map to see which seats are available. The ones with (X) icons are unavailable for selection.
- Please choose your preferred seat and check its price below the seat map.
- Once the seat assignment is done, fill in the required information and pay for your flight bookings and seats.
- If you are not able to check the current status of your flight seats, contact an airline staff member on this number: 1 (860) 370 4608 or 1 (800) 433-7300. The agents will help you get the seat of your choice.
How to Select a Seat on American Airlines?
You first need to check the number of seats available to select a seat on American Airlines. You can check the availability using the seat map available for almost all American flights. Have a look below and go through the step-by-step procedure to assign yourself a seat on American Airlines:
American Airlines Seats Selection at the Time of Booking
- You can book a flight to your preferred destination on the American Airlines website or the mobile app. Now, go to the seat selection process before paying for your reservations.
- On the seat selection page, you will see an American Airlines seat map to check the availability of seats.
- You can see the seat map displaying Main Cabin Extra seats as orange, preferred seats as green, and available seats as blue.
- You can select the one that is best for you, and the amount will be added to your flight bookings.
Assign yourself a Seat After Booking
To assign yourself a seat after booking a flight with American Airlines:
- Go to the official website of American Airlines at www.aa.com and sign into your AA account.
- Look for the ‘Manage bookings’ section and log in using your flight booking details. You can do this either on an American airline’s website or mobile app to choose your seat.
- The seat map will display available seats for you to select and will also show you the price of each.
- Select the seats and check their prices below the seat map. Or enter the seat number in the empty field of seats.
- After selecting seats, pay the amount for seats assigned on your flight bookings. You will then receive a confirmation mail with assigned seats.
- If you need help regarding the seat selection or feel stuck in the process, contact American Airlines customer service. The reservations department will help you get the seats you want.
How much does an American Airline Seat Selection cost?
After knowing that AA charges seat selection fees, you must be wondering how much is American Airlines seat selection fee. The fees for assigning yourself a seat on AA depend on your fare type, seat selection timing, and your flight route.
However, the seat selection costs start around $9 for a standard economy seat and go up to $139 for premium seats with extra legroom and other features. It’s always a good idea to check the specific costs for your flight when you book, or you can log in to your account to view and select seats at any time.
Types of seats on American Airlines
American Airlines provides different types of seats to passengers depending on the flight and class of service they choose. Below is a detailed explanation of American airline seats.
AA Basic Economy Seats
The most common seats are standard economy seats that offer basic amenities and a comfortable experience for short to medium-haul flights.
Premium Economy Seats on American Airlines
AA also offers premium economy seats that come with extra legroom, wider seats, and other amenities for a more comfortable journey.
Business Class Seats
American Airlines has business class seats that offer a more luxurious experience. These seats come with lie-flat beds, direct aisle access, individual entertainment systems, and gourmet food and beverage options. Business class seats are one of the best options when flying a long-haul international flight.
Main Cabin or First Class
American Airlines offers first-class seats on select aircraft. The Main Cabin has the most luxurious and comfortable seats on the flight. These seats come with additional amenities such as in-flight showers, personal assistants, and excellent dining options.
What if I skip seat selection on American Airlines?
Passengers who are traveling alone or don’t have any seat preferences can skip seat selection on American Airlines. The airline will automatically assign you a seat at the check-in counter. It will also help you to save American airline seat selection charges on the airline. However, you may not get a preferred seat or one that is next to your travel companion.
If having a specific seat is important to you, it’s best to select one during the booking process or at least before check-in. Seat selection will enhance your travel on long-haul and connecting flights, especially when traveling with family and friends.
Can you upgrade seats on American after purchase?
Yes, American Airlines offers several ways to upgrade your seat for a more comfortable and enjoyable flight experience.
- You can use your AAdvantage miles or pay cash to upgrade your seat.
- One can also bid on an upgrade available on your flight using the Upgrade Bid option or use systemwide upgrades (SWUs).
- Advantage elite status members can earn complimentary upgrades, and small-business program members can upgrade their seats as well.
To find out if upgrade seats are available, log in to aa.com and look for the ‘Systemwide upgrades’ link. If you don’t see any upgrade seats available when you book your flight, American Airlines will waitlist your request and try to accommodate your upgrade request as soon as possible.
How to get a free seat on American Airlines?
If you want to get a free seat on American Airlines, there are a few things you can do:
Avoid buying the basic economy fare: Getting yourself a basic economy fare will reduce your chance of getting a free seat selection.
- Become an Advantage member: If you are a member of American Airlines’ loyalty program or other partner airlines’ elite status programs, you may be eligible for a free seat selection. You can get an extra-legroom or free preferred seat only if you have used miles to pay for the seat assignment or are an elite status member.
- Get yourself a Main Cabin ticket: If you purchase a Main Plus ticket, you can select a seat for free.
- Let American Airlines select seats for you: If you wait until the economy cabin is full before checking in for your flight, American Airlines may assign you a free seat. You can check your reservation on AA’s website to see your seat assignment.
You can choose your seat during or after booking your flight. To avoid paying extra, skip American Airlines seat selection and get a seat at no charge after you check-in.
In conclusion, selecting a seat on American Airlines is completely your choice. Comfort lovers are likely to select seats, whereas money savers can skip seat selection. However, you must not regret skipping seat selection as the airline staff can make you sit on any seat. Also, you can get an upgrade using the bidding system or adding a promo code. For more information and updates on the American seat selection policy, contact customer service.
Read More Related Blog Posts: